Recipes to please after a day of caching
We decided to expand our content with the new year and we are going to be adding some of our favorite recipes. These recipes will be easy to fix or meals and treats you can take on the caching trail. If any of you have any recipes you would love to share, we would love to try them and feature them on our site. Our first recipe is one of our favorites and can be started before you leave for a day of caching and finish when you get home, then enjoy! I wish I would have had some of this delicious Posole waiting for me after our 100 caches in a day (read about it here) challenge.
Darcey's Delicious Posole' Easy delicious authentic Latino dish. I learned to make this in New Mexico from my extended family when my Grandfather passed away. Over the years I have changed the recipe to make it my own version. Warning: If you start making this, you will be asked to make it all of the time! Picture is without diced tomatoes, once they are added the broth turns a reddish color, tomatoes optional, I prefer it with them.
- 3 cups cooked pork, Make Pork roast first cook roast in 1/4 cup soy sauce in crock pot, do not drain, once cooked, the meat will shred on own by pushing with a fork, once shredded in the crock pot then add the following:
- 2 tablespoons El Guapo Menudo Mix (It comes in 3/4 oz packages on the Mexican food Isle, is a seasoning packet usually around .80 cents to a dollar)
- 3 Chicken Bouillion cubes (Knorr brand, Caldo Con Sabor De Pollo comes in 8 cube package also on Mexican food isle, usually .69 cents to a dollar)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of minced diced garlic, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chili peppers (or 2 fresh green chili’s seeded and diced)
- 1 (23 or 24 ounce) can white hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1can 14.5 oz of diced stewed tomatoes with chilies (optional)
- After you add all ingredients add enough water to cover the hominy
- salt to own taste
All garnishes are optional after soup is cooked you can add any of the following to top of soup to add great flavor and variety.
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (garnish)
- lime wedges (garnish)
- 1 Bag of shredded cabbage or a head of cabbage cut into shreds
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped radishes
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (Mexican blend or cheddar)
- Flour Tortillas to dip in soup while eating